Stormrider!

Thursday, August 20, 2009

Writer's Musings


Yep, that's what I'm doing, musing. Should be writing, but I'm using, well, musing AND writing, just not fiction.

Was sitting down to work on my most current novel (a romance this time) when I said to my self, "Self - why am I doing this?" There are many reasons I might ask myself this question, most are personal, and I've been writing a very long time so I do ask that question of myself periodically.

Now, I don't know about YOUR self, but MY self has a lot to say about pretty much everything. So, self says to me, "You're a writer, you write, you've written since you were 12 years old, it's all you've wanted to do, you've done a good job, published a whole bunch of books, written optioned screenplays and a whole bunch of other stuff, you're good. Get busy."

Hmmm, I respond, "I don't know, I'm really sort of not in the mood, want to do other stuff."

Self gives an inward sigh. "You're at your desk to write. Sit down, shut up and write."

"I am writing."

"Yeah, sure you are -- you're blogging, that's not writing. Well it is, but.... you're rambling."

I do a good job of rambling, that's why I can write books. Works a bit against me when I write a screeplay.

I try again, attempting to reason with myself.

"Can't I take the day off this time? I'll work twice as hard tomorrow."

"So you say now, but then tomorrow will come and there you'll be, making excuses again. It's pretty much what you do...it's what most writers do. Okay, go ahead, take the day off."

"I can't"

"You can't?"

"I can't."

"This isn't writer's block or some strange off-shoot is it, 'cause I don't think I can deal with that right now."

"No. I have to write. It's the time I've set aside and I have to write."

"Okay, so why have you done that, set the time aside?"

"Because I want to write, I've always written stories and I write. It's what I do."

"Then sit down, shut up...."

"...and write, yes, I know. Am I procrastinating again?"

"No, yes, well maybe - I can't be sure."

"Time to get to work."

"At last we agree."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Other Posts Of Interest:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...